Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Language

Part one was difficult, because I had to use my hands to even conceptualize what I'm trying to say. Bold facial expressions are the most help, because it shows them the broad idea of what the thought is coming from. I mostly just tried to illustrate objects and then build on that, sort of like playing charades. The person I was conversing with (my brother) had to resort to easier subjects to converse with. We only really talked about what was around us, if something made us laugh or if something made us angry. If a speaking culture was talking to a culture that didn't use symbolic language, they would think of them very primitively. Being able to speak is the only way to convey complex ideas. People who are mute are dealt with very easily, by either writing down on paper what they want to say or what we want to say, hand gestures, or just tell them if they aren't deaf.

Part two was fairly easy because I could just paint a picture in my brother's mind by describing what I'm trying to get across. It was slightly difficult for my brother and I to not show any emotion and just have a poker face the entire time, but it was easier to lose body language than to lose spoken language. Using signs with our hands and emotion in our faces is definitely important though. With it, it is much easier to both illustrate our ideas and speak about them. Oblivious people can sometimes not pick up on body language, but it is easier to hone it on and understand it when in social situations.

3 comments:

  1. Overall, well done, though I suspect you might have misunderstood the assignment. The language restriction in both parts was only placed upon you, not your partner.

    I think many of us don't realize how important language is to the communication of ideas. It is interesting to consider all the things we couldn't discuss without language. Real objects are fine (coffee, book, car) but what about ideas that can't be acted out, like democracy, natural selection, or the economic concept of supply and demand. How would you get those ideas across without language?

    Can you think of a specific group of people who cannot read body language because of a physical limitation? There are a few. And can you think of any situations where there might be a benefit not reading body language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my mistake :(. At least I got a general concept of what the outcome would be with the experiment. Of coarse, blind people cannot see body language because of their limitation, and after thinking about it, I really can't see any benefit towards not being able to.

    ReplyDelete