Thursday, May 24, 2012

Art as a Culture

1.a. The Lascaux cave artists are reflecting on the fauna in their habitat - such as horses, stags, aurochs, ibexes, bison, bears and felines.
b. Animals are very important in a cave dweller's life. It is their food as well as entertainment (when hunting or just watching). Art is to illustrate something that had a profound effect on you, animals are these people's livelihood, so it is only reasonable for them to want to.
c. These paintings tell us the painters were working with a limited use of colors and tools to paint with. As such with paleolithic art, warm colors are emphasized such as black, brown, yellow and red. These were made with handy materials like charcoal from wood or bone, or other minerals like manganese oxide.
d. The artists faced additional limitations such as calcite and disintegrating limestone causing some of the rock support to fail and cause damage to the art. Also in order to see what you are painting in a cave, many lamps using fat were used, with sometimes maybe having to use scaffolding to access a part of the wall.
e.  This art provided creativity for the dwellers so they can image their daily life, or it could have caused them to have more moral for the next hunt by having it on their minds, or it can be a sacred happening or ritual to the animals.
2. Art makes a world of its own. It can be created by you, and also convey what you want to reflect about your world. Art is held in high esteem in every culture, whether its worth millions of dollars in a museum or painted thousands of years ago, it was created by a being that wanted to show his thoughts, beliefs, feelings or creativity.
3. I play the piano and I have wanted to learn this completely.
 
a. For me classical piano is very cheerful and warming, it is a journey of emotion felt through the sound of the music.
b. Most people who perform classical piano are formal, the audience consists of a moderately vast demographic.
c. The benefits of this music is simple enjoyment, it is very enlightening and cleansing after listening and definitely after playing.

2 comments:

  1. You explain about what the painting tells us about the painter's tools. Do the paintings give us any clues into the life of these people, other than the animals and painting techniques?

    Good discussion on the difficulties of producing these images.

    Can you think of any "hands on" functions that you could attribute to these images? Think of the Egyptians who used picture images to keep records.

    I appreciate the link to the Moonlight Sonata. One of my favorites as well. I would have liked to have seen this section expanded a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the link you put on here, that is so beautiful to listen to. If you learn to that play that great job!! I work for senior citizens and one thing they really love is when people come in and play the piano for them. I think it is so relaxing and great to listen to. I do not play the piano but I would agree that after you listen to it it is very cleansing. I did not think of the rock it self falling which could ruin there art so I am glad I read your post because it made me think of things that I did not think about when writing my blog.

    ReplyDelete